Some methods used in boatyards and marinas can damage and shorten the life of boats. Whether you are in the boat care trade, specifying the care of your yacht, or a practical boat owner doing it for yourself, this is a guide to good practice.
In spite of constant exposure to weather, water, salt atmospheric pollution, and the attack by organic agents like weed, mould and bird droppings, much of a boat’s deterioration can be prevented by proper care.
Here are some common boat care errors:
- Damaging gel coat by using car polish techniques
- Using cutting compound to clean and shine fibreglass
- Scrubbing or power washing teak
- Painting over easily restorable fibreglass
- Crazing acrylic windows by using domestic window cleaner
- Cracking and yellowing spray hood windows with incorrect cleaners
Check out our boat care guide pages for more information.